Skip to page content

Home > Research > Research Network

Research Network

New questions and ideas about leadership rarely emerge through the ponderings of one person in isolation. Our researchers need others to think with, talk with and write with and we value opportunities to connect with leading academics from around the world.

Recent visitors to NZLI have included:

Associate Professor, Department of Intercultural Communication and Management, Copenhagen Business School

January 2012

Eric has been a Visiting Professor several times over the last few years and has contributed to a number of our research, development and education initiatives including the co-authorship of several books. We are currently working together on Eric's Production of Leadership project.

University of Sydney Business School

November 2011

David and Richard hosted a seminar while in New Zealand to discuss the Teaching of Leadership as Practice: Experiential approaches to learning, critical leadership studies, design and integrative thinking. In considering the recent shifts in leadership teaching and the consequent impact on participants, they also reflected on the broader implications for our understanding of leadership practice and development, whether it be within Universities or in our organisations and communities.

Associated Professor of Organisation Studies, Warwick Business School

May 2011

While in NZ, Professor Spicer spoke about Metaphors We Lead By in which he explored a number of in-depth studies of managers trying to "do" leadership. In each of these cases, leaders faced huge uncertainty about what 'good' leadership is, how they should do it, and whether it was needed at all. To navigate this uncertainty, leaders found comfort in a range of metaphors for the leader: as gardener, cosy-crafter, saint, cyborg, commander and bully.

Coston Family Chair in Leadership and Ethics and co-founder of the Jepson School of Leadership Studies, University of Richmond

May 2011

Joanne has spent significant time considering leadership and ethics and spoke while in New Zealand about The ethical challenges of leading well. Most people think leaders ought to be ethical. Few would argue with the idea that leaders should look after the needs of their constituents or organisations, be honest, fair, trustworthy, authentic and more. When we look around us, we notice that leaders often struggle to be ethical and effective. Some leaders are very ethical but not very effective, while others are good at getting things done, but not very ethical. Professor Ciulla explores some of the ethical challenges that are unique to the practice of leadership, suggesting that by understanding these challenges we gain insight into how to develop better leaders.

Professor of Organisational Communication, University of Cincinnati

April 2011

Gail Fairhurst is well known for her research and spoke while in New Zealand on The Power of Framing: Challenging the Language of Leadership. Historically, the topic of communication has been a key focus in the leadership literature, but new research is now emerging that specifically addresses the role of framing in effective and credible communication. In today's business environment, an awareness of our language and framing as ‘meaning making' is critical in understanding the impact we can have through our interactions with others. Gail Fairhurst proposes that when we connect with others through our framing of people, situations and events, we shape reality, and when we help provide meaning when others are unable to do so, we demonstrate leadership.

Professor of Leadership and Ethics, Cranfield School of Management

January 2011

Donna’s area of interest is the Aesthetics of Leadership. The aesthetic approach to leadership takes us beyond both instrumental explanations (i.e. ‘how does it work’?) and ethical understandings (i.e. ‘what is the right way?’) by bringing to the fore the sensory experience and the felt meanings that are produced by and guide our interactions with leadership (i.e. ‘how should it be?’) As with art, with which is it is closely associated, aesthetics enables us to ask new and unexpected questions of leadership in all its dimensions.

Howard Hawks Chair in Business Ethics and Leadership and Co-Director of the Institute for Innovative Leadership at the University of Nebraska

October 2010

Mary spoke about Leadership and Complexity. Complexity is providing a new lexicon for leadership research and practice - one that considers leadership as occurring in both formal and informal processes, and as emerging in and interacting with complex interactive dynamics. This model fits the new, "dynamic equilibrium," paradigm that has been developing in organisational studies in the last two decades.

Director of the Centre for Leadership Studies, University of Exeter

June 2010

In his last visit to NZLI Richard addressed Leadership in Higher Education. A context which internationally, is undergoing a major transition - changing funding mechanisms, regulation and audit, increasing customer demands, competition and internationalisation all parts of the shifting landscape.

We have an ongoing relationship with Richard and his team at the Centre for Leadership Studies which, alongside reciprocal visits, has seen us presenting conference papers together and contributing to each other's endeavours in leadership education and development.