Skip to page content

Home > Our story > Our Team

Our Team

Ann Moore  Fiona Kennedy  Lester Levy  Joline Francoeur Monique Cikaliuk  
Josh Firth  Philippa Collins  Brigid Carroll

Ann Moore manages the integrated roles of Business Development, Marketing & Communications at NZLI. She began her work at the Institute while completing her Master of Management at the University of Auckland Business School. Ann’s master’s research thesis investigated the intersection of leadership and career within women’s leadership development in a tertiary institution setting, for which she was awarded the Dean’s Senior Prize in 2013.

Ann’s qualifications include Bachelor of International Communication and Post-graduate Diploma in Business (Marketing). Over the past ten years she has held previous positions in the context of education and professional development in the tertiary education sector, which have included event management, marketing and communication, and an executive assistant where she also managed a team of operational and support staff.

Dr Fiona Kennedy is Senior Leadership Facilitator and Researcher. At NZLI she is lead facilitator for the Leadership Mindset programme and facilitates for in-house bespoke research and development programmes.

Her research and writing is concerned with the intersection of leadership theory and practice. She focuses on translating new theories of leadership into approaches to leadership development and leadership practice.

Fiona’s background includes consulting in organizational development, executive coaching, and working in senior management in the Ontario public sector. Prior to her consulting and management roles, Fiona worked and trained as a family therapist and supervisor of family therapists.

Dr Lester Levy, CNZM, MBBCH, MBA, FNZIM, is the appointed chairman of Auckland Transport, the Auckland and Waitemata District Health Boards as well as the Health Research Council. He is the Independent Chairman of Tonkin & Taylor and the foundation Head of the New Zealand Leadership Institute at the University of Auckland and Professor (Adjunct) of Leadership at the University of Auckland Business School.

Lester is a graduate of Medicine and an MBA and has extensive management and governance experience in both the public and private sectors. He has been chief executive of South Auckland Health (now Counties Manukau District Health Board), the New Zealand Blood Service and the MercyAscot group of hospitals (of which he was a founder). His previous governance experience includes roles as Chairman of Boards of Directors in the domains of private healthcare, biotechnology and film and television production. Lester is best known for leading a number of organisational performance transformations as a Chief Executive, entrepreneur and Chairman, in both the public and private sectors.

Previously seconded to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet as an advisor, Lester has been awarded the prestigious King's Fund International Fellowship from the King's Fund in London as well as being made a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Management. He was appointed a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (CNZM) in the 2013 New Year's Honours List for services to health and education.

Joline Francoeur is Director of Leadership Development at NZLI. She is a founding member of the NZLI team and has been involved with leadership development for more than 35 years.

Joline is a co-architect of design and development initiatives and leads the facilitation team which currently delivers leadership development through open and customised programmes across multiple sectors in New Zealand and Australia.

Joline gained her initial leadership experience working as Co-director of a large not-for-profit organisation in New York State and directing an education centre in New Mexico. Her qualifications include a Bachelor of Science from the University of Maine and a Master's degree in Education from the University of Colorado. She has previously taught in under- and post-graduate business degree programmes at the University of Auckland.

Dr Monique Cikaliuk is a Post-doctoral Research Fellow. She is a member of the interdisciplinary team drawn from law and business facilities engaged on the research project, ‘Opening Up the Black Box: Exploring the Crucial Interface between Leadership and Governance Processes in Australasian Organisations’. Implications from this research will generate applied practices for current and aspiring directors. Along with case studies and research articles, Monique and her team are currently completing a book bringing together leadership and corporate governance in Australasian companies.

Monique received her PhD in Management Learning from Lancaster University, investigating strategic alliance capability. She holds a MA from Royal Roads University in Leadership, and a MA and BA Honours from the University in Victoria. Monique spent a number of years leading a university executive education business unit at Royal Roads University overseeing the development and delivery of leadership programs for an array of public and private sector clients. She was also a key player in developing a provincial strategy for leadership development in the health care system in British Columbia, Canada. In addition to her research, she is also a Certified Strategic Alliance Professional.

Josh Firth is Research Assistant for NZLI and has been with the Institute for three years, primarily serving to co-ordinate the variety of research activities at the Institute.

Josh is now completing a Master of Commerce degree at the University of Auckland Business School and has an undergraduate degree in Theology. As part of his post-graduate study, Josh is developing his own research identity with an interest in constructionist approaches to leadership and organisation. As research is held closely together with development at the Institute, he is also learning the craft of leadership development facilitation and is involved with the facilitation of the University of Auckland 360° Student Leadership Programme.

Philippa Collins is Programme and Business Manager at NZLI. She oversees many of the operational aspects within the Institute and is primarily responsible for the management of the Institute’s development portfolio, building key relationships with programme participants and external stakeholders and supporting the team to deliver quality leadership development initiatives.

Philippa is also charged with managing the Institute’s finance and HR functions, and works closely with the Business Development, Marketing & Communications Manager.

Prior to working at NZLI, Philippa completed a BA/BSc at the University of Auckland and held a number of roles in the service industry.

Associate Professor Brigid Carroll is the Director of Research and a lead facilitator at NZLI. She leads and supports the research activities at the Institute, including research design, data collection, analysis, and writing for publications. Brigid also plays a key role as a co-architect for design and delivery of the leadership development programmes. These dual and integrated roles mean she pays particular attention to the interface between research and development and how each informs the other.

Dr Brigid is an Associate Professor in the Department of Management and International Business at the University of Auckland Business School where her teaching encompasses research methodology, management and leadership, along with post-graduate research supervision.

Research interests for Brigid lie primarily with identity construction and discourse of leadership in a range of sectors across contemporary organisations. Research articles have been published in Organization Studies, Organization, Human Relations, MCQ and Leadership. Brigid is currently co-editor of the journal ‘Leadership’ and has published chapters in many leadership books, most recently in ‘Authentic Leadership: Clashes, Convergences and Coalescences’ (2013. Eds., Ladkin, D. & Spiller, C.). In 2014 Brigid received a University of Auckland Business School Research Excellence Award.